Of course, this has been a very challenging time for all and as we return to school, it is with a spotlight on public education and all that being a part of this system is about. We care for Nootka kids and are focused on how we can personalize and fully support each student's learning experience.
Last Friday, teachers worked hard to set up the physical spaces that are so important to the students who use them. As the school buzzed with the positive energy of teachers and support workers loving their work, I noticed the many ways that our staff worked to improve the aesthetic of our classrooms and hallways. Cleaning and scrubbing things down, dusting and removing the cobwebs of tough times this summer, the staff once again brought their creative touch and 'bag of tricks' to make beautiful spaces for learning:
• nooks for reading and exploring quietly
• areas with tangible and inspiring items for play, discovery and questioning
• spots that model organization with files, binders, supplies, labels and structures
• spaces that support students to appreciate nature and take care of their surroundings
• locations dedicated to themes and the arts for students to consider
• artistic and athletic focused areas to foster involvement
Teachers and support staff collaborate purposefully to create little experiences that mean big learning and inspiration for kids and at Nootka yesterday, that feeling of purpose was very strong. I hope that the offices and administrative areas of the school also demonstrate the warmth and support that we strive to give all our students.
We are excited to welcome the children on Monday (and kindergartens on Tuesday!)... Families, please come in with them and talk to your teachers. Be involved and enjoy the learning and memories created by every corner of the school. Talk to us in the office and be part of the journey that is elementary school!
Welcome back, Nootka community!